Thursday, February 28, 2008

It Doesn't Count if You Buy Them With Change

After putting Benjamin to bed for the third time last night I started thinking Charley and I need a vacation.

We have been lucky to travel a bit together to Portland, Paris, and more local places. This summer we are headed to New York state for the wedding of his brother and lovely fiance.

These days, however, I have become almost dependent on my vacations to Starbucks. I strap little guy into the car seat and head to the Starbucks drive-thru for my daily small, non-fat, decaf, real chocolate (not sugar-free) mocha. With little guy usually asleep we tool around town, listen to the radio and enjoy the quiet.

It would only be better if I could figure out how to sleep, drive, and drink coffee all at once.

I realize that with the money I spend on these things we could afford a real vacation in less than a year.

I have convinced myself that if I can find enough change around the house and not actually use the money in my wallet to pay for them then it does not really count.

For now, though, I am sticking to my mini vacations. During these months of sleepless nights I am giving myself a break.

No comments: